Sunday, January 9, 2011

Jaay's Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies

I've always wanted the Nestle Tollhouse recipe to be perfect, but it leaves me feeling flat  {um, cuz the cookies are f.l.a.t} everytime.  Even so, its been my go-to for years.  Until now!  I heard about these incredible cookies from Sister, who tried them at a party, and was referred to this site, where I ultimately found the recipe {below}.  Fire up the Kitchenaid, grab  a glass of cold milk, and enjoy!

There are a few quirks to this recipe...I definitely had some doubts.  It starts off as usual with the sugars:


Then comes the wacky part:  melted butter!  Going against everything I know about cookie baking, I melted the butter and added it in, making a gooey glob.  Still unsure:


To the melted butter you add eggs and vanilla.  I hoped for the best as the mixture churned slowly, then added in the sifted ingredients.  Yep, still skeptical.  The dough was gooey, not at all firm like I was used to.  But I added the chocolate {always Ghirardelli} and hoped for the best!




In the oven, I expected the shiny cookie dough to ooze and run, but it didn't!  The cookies held their shape, and grew into shapely, lovely delights!  {Ethan could hardly wait for the timer to ring!}




Sunday afternoon.  Yummy, gooey, chocolaty cookies after a snow-ball-fight.  A Thing of Beauty.



Recipe:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (for pure convection, adjust accordingly; I used 310 F on convection). Grease cookie sheets, or line them with parchment paper or use a Silpat (which is what I did).
Sift the flour, salt and baking soda and set aside.
Mix the sugars and butter just until thoroughly mixed, then add egg, yolk and vanilla and mix until creamy. Add the sifted ingredients and mix until just blended.
Stir in the chocolate chips/chunks, then drop dough 1/4 cup at a time on a cookie sheet, about 3 inches apart, and bake for 15-17 minutes. Leave them on the cookie sheet to cool a bit when removed from the oven (this is important… they fall apart if you move them too quickly). Once they cool a few minutes, remove the cookies to a cooling rack to finish cooling. Or eat them right away, with milk!

No comments:

Post a Comment